Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Chapter 7: Sa Réponse (Mentions of suicide)

Never in a million years did I believe Liam would wish to become one of the vampires.

Though...I suppose the alternative had no appeal to him.

I gave him the positives and the negatives of the entire concept of being...inhuman. And he listened to them all.


I gave him three days. Three days, and by then, he must give me his answer.

But had I expected the response I received? No. But before that day came, he took me along around town, so I could see firsthand what he often went through.

Of course, there were still parties going about the town. Lavish ones, many of which Liam were invited to.

I don't understand, even now, why he attended. All that awaited him was scorn and insults. But this time, I came with him.

Shortly after we arrived, Liam's presence was announced by the phrase, "The computer geek has finally come out of his basement!"

And here I thought Miss Rhoen was a nice girl. But I suppose everyone has another side to them. Suffice to say, we did not stay long.

The next night, we went to this lovely little shop. And there was Miss Moore. It would seem she, too, was a girl with a hidden dark side to her.


Her snide insult related to Dungeons and Dragons, and how Liam wasn't ready for "the real thing". And Liam...oh, he couldn't think of anything to respond with.

He was practically begging me to take him home. And there, he confirmed to me that everything I saw, was a nigh-daily occurrence.

And by that point, he gave me his answer.


The only thing he said was to go ahead. I couldn't believe it. I asked him if he thought it through properly.

He only replied with, "Maybe everyone in town will like me if I do this."

Liam was willing to give up his humanity, if only for the off chance of being accepted? And I just couldn't say no to that face.

But I suppose I should have.

How ready he was. But this decision brought forth repercussions.

When Francisca found out exactly what had happened...she blamed herself.

Nothing I said comforted her. Everything she said was that it was all her fault, and now those she cared about would suffer because of her.

She ran out of the house before I could stop her. And come the next day...


When she was brought home again, I simply collapsed. I had finally found her after so long...and now I had lost her again, this time for good.

Their reports were that she threw herself into the lake, in what appeared to be a bid to take her own life.

I wish I could have brought her back. But I best I could do was keep her close by. 


I knew it was rather unorthodox, but at least this way I would never lose her again...!

Not a day goes by that I don't miss her. And to add insult to injury, when we had finally somewhat settled after her death,

Liam claimed that he was not feeling well.


I knew what was happening. But I couldn't stop the process now, could I? But his cries of pain...they were unbearable.

I saw tears in his eyes. He even told me that I didn't tell him it would hurt that much. All I could say to encourage him was that it would be over soon.

It was in that moment, the horrific, yet undeniable realization had come to pass.

As much as I wished to believe it was naught but a terrible nightmare, I could not say otherwise. The sad, painful truth was right there in front of me:

The Liam I knew and cared for, my dear friend...He was gone, and in his place was what would become a cruel, ruthless abomination.


That night, I wept for his death. And it was all my doing. I only wish I could have tried to convince him otherwise.

I know full well, that I myself was perfectly accepting of becoming one of the vampires, but him...

Had I not turned him, would there still have been a chance he could have been saved?

I cannot say for sure. All I know is that in only a few short days, I had not only lost my dear sister...

But though I had not truly realized it at the time, I had lost my best friend as well. And nothing would be the same...

...


(End of Chapter 7.)

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. That last picture makes me think Liam became the exact opposite personality he was when he was human, perhaps being mean to people on purpose since they were cruel to him while he was human.

    ReplyDelete